• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

KonaKart source

Started by albinjoseph, December 10, 2008, 09:41:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

albinjoseph

Hello All,

Now I am evaluating KonaKart to replace a commercial ecommerce product. After doing some initial researches I could see that KonaKart is very promising and I am considering KonaKart as a replacement to our existing product very seriously.

Now I am just wondering whether the source code of KonaKart is available or not so that some customization to the core files can be made if required (Of course I am expecting some changes).

If no source code available how easy it is to customize the product according to our needs?

Thanks
-Albin

greg

Hi Albin,

There are many ways that you can customize KonaKart without access to the source code..  It has been designed with this requirement in mind.

So long as you write your application against the KonaKart APIs, future versions of KonaKart will be compatible to make it easy for you to upgrade later to take advantage of bug fixes and new features.

Look at all the customization notes here http://www.konakart.com/faqs.php

Regards,
Greg

albinjoseph

Thanks Greg, for your comments.

So in one word. No source code is available.

Let me go through your customization code.

Thanks
-Albin

greg

Albin,

I wouldn't say that at all.

Source code is available for all of the Struts actions, Struts forms, JSPs  and the modules (shipping, payment, order totals). We even supply the GWT source code used for the one page checkout functionality.

We expect that the vast majority of users will not actually need to buy the source, treating the KonaKart engine as a "black box" that is controlled via the APIs..

-Greg

albinjoseph

I think the source code of struts actions, forms and the modules would do. Basically we will customize only these modules. I believe we may not require to customize the KonaKart engine.

Btw, is there anything we can do to remove the powered by link?

greg

There are very few conditions imposed by the licence ( http://www.konakart.com/documents/LICENSE.txt ) but one of them is:

5. Recognition. You must add a "Powered by KonaKart" link in the form Powered by KonaKart either on the main page of the shopping cart application or on a credits page linked to from the main page.

Why do you not want to give the developers of KonaKart credit for their work?

-Greg