• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

OS X?

Started by rcwhite, July 13, 2007, 05:43:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rcwhite

Can i run KonaKart from OS X? It doesn't seem like it, but since it says Unix supports KonaKart i was wondering?

If not, any possibility in the future?

thanks

john

Hi,

Although I've never tried, I don't know of any reason why KonaKart would not work on Mac OS X.

It's a standard J2EE app and so there shouldn't be a problem.

I'll be happy to help you get it working if you like.  Unfortunately I don't have OS X here so will just have to respond to your questions as best I can.

The installer that we use currently is "InstallJammer" which will soon support OS X but doesn't yet so you will have to use the manual zip installation and follow the installation FAQ at http://www.konakart.com/installationfaq.php.

How far have you got so far?

John

rcwhite

John,
   I completely forgot about the manual zip. I'll play around with it tonight or tomorrow, and report back.
Charlie

Anni

hi,

I've also downloaded the zip-archive as I want to install this on a mac. however, I'm not really sure about the configuration stuff the installer would do ...

e.g. where do I have to specify the location of the java runtime, the db parameters and so on for konakart?

thanks  :)

Brian

Hi Anni,

You should be successful with this as it's a pretty normal tomcat java application.   Therefore, look in the tomcat/bin for the startup scripts -

Specifically, for the case you mentioned:

$ more ./konakart/bin/setJavaHome.sh
#!/bin/sh
#
# Set the JRE_HOME for KonaKart here
#
# We unset JAVA_HOME to avoid using the wrong Java version.
#
# KonaKart needs java 5 at least
#

export JRE_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.6.0/
export JAVA_HOME=

For the db parameters, there are two properties files called konakart.properties and konakartadmin.properties.  These are in the classes directories of their respective webapps, eg:

./konakart/webapps/konakart/WEB-INF/classes/konakart.properties
./konakart/webapps/konakartadmin/WEB-INF/classes/konakartadmin.properties

Check out the installation and configuration FAQs on our web site at:  http://www.konakart.com/installationfaq.php and http://www.konakart.com/configurationfaq.php

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Regards,
Brian

Anni

thanks for the answer. I'll have a look at these files then.

regards,
anni

virtueed

I'm actually developing on OS X using MySQL and the 2.2.0.7 zipped version. It works fine without any problem. Just remember to unzip using BOMArchiveHelper and not Stuffit. JAVA_HOME is setted automatically and startkonakart.sh works perfectly. Remember to modify manually the properties files of konakart and konakartadmin.

Ciao,
Mirko.

john

Hi Mirko,

That's good to hear and very useful feedback - thanks and good luck!

ciao,
John

Anni

hi everyone,

I've got another question to this problem. I'm completely new to mac so I"m lost at the point where I want to start the startkonakart.sh. I tried renaming it to .command and running it with the teminal but it didn't really work. any suggestions?

thanks,

anni

pete

Hi Anni,

You should be able to run that ok without changing the extension. 

When you open a terminal session and run that shell script what do you see?

Maybe a little bit of background on shell scripting could be helpful?  eg... I'm sure you could find 1000s of better ones on the Net but here's one:  http://www.noendpress.com/vroman/shellscripting/index.php

Regards,
Pete

Anni

November 07, 2007, 01:47:20 pm #10 Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 01:50:18 pm by Anni
hi pete,

the terminal prints this but nothing else happens:
---------
Using CATALINA_BASE:   ./..
Using CATALINA_HOME:   ./..
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: ./../temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home
---------
did I miss something in regarad to tomcat? or does it have to look like this?

and what also might be of interest: I'm not yet trying this on the real server but test it locally. at the moment I just have an apache server running (but without tomcat).

cheers,
anni

pete

Hi Anni,

If you'd followed through the scripts which you have in your bin directory you would have seen that you've reached catalina.sh

This is fine but now have a look at the logs directory to see if you can see anything in there (catalina.out is a likely candidate) that indicates to you what went wrong... or whether the application has actually started and you didn't realise.

Have you tried running the application from a browser after you've started it? i.e. using http://localhost:8780/konakart/

Regards,
Pete

Anni

I've tried starting it but I just get a nice java exception. but according to the catalina.out file it seems to be a problem with the database. it says: "Unable to connect to the Database called oscommerce." That's right, because I'm using mysql ... do I have to change any of the "oscommerce" in the properties files?

mine looks like this at the moment:
------------
torque.database.default                                     = oscommerce

torque.database.oscommerce.adapter                   = mysql
torque.dsfactory.oscommerce.connection.driver     = com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
torque.dsfactory.oscommerce.connection.url          = jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/konkart?zeroDateTimeBehavior=convertToNull
torque.dsfactory.oscommerce.connection.user        = user
torque.dsfactory.oscommerce.connection.password =

thanks,
anni

pete

Hi Anni,

No, don't change that.

Instead, spend some time reading up on the installation and configuration FAQs.  They're relevant to OS X as well - just refer to the Linux/Unix notes.

http://www.konakart.com/faqs.php

If something isn't answered in those, get back to the forum.

Regards,
Pete

Anni

hi,

I actually did that multiple times already and it didn't really help. :( as far as I know I've done everything that's in the faqs. I'm just lost at the moment.

regards,
anika