• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

utf-8 characters become ????????????

Started by costis, April 08, 2008, 08:19:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

costis

Hi Pete!
have a nice morning!! We've been checking everything so far. We do have one question....
is it preferable to use InnoDB or mySQL? Does it make any difference for Konakart?

pete

InnoDB since it supports transactions.

costis

Imported the database from the working Windows installation to the SUSE system. Greek characters went through to the customers-panel, but again, saving turned them to question marks. All settings are all identical.

A mickey mouse program to connect via jdbc to the database works correctly.

kate

Hi Costis,

We have many users of KonaKart who use non-Western characters so we do know that it can support this.

Invariably the problem will be with the database configuration.

I just made a change to the configuration on the database being used on our demo application to ensure that UTF-8 is the default/server character set (evidently it's not enough for just the database to have utf-8 encoding).

You mentioned that you could not save Greek characters in our demo app earlier...   In the screen images below I have saved some Greek characters, and some Chinese for good measure (one is from the Welcome Mail that is sent and another on the Account Information screen).  (NB. I copied and pasted the Greek and Chinese so I'm not at all sure what I've written;  I hope it's not inappropriate language :-)).  Perhaps you could try to do the same and see if you get it to work this time?

I suggest that you check your MySQL configuration again and ensure that your encoding is defined correctly... I added these lines to my.cnf which seemed to do the trick for me:

[client]
default-character-set=utf8

[mysql]

[mysqld]
character-set-server=utf8

Kate

costis

You made my day !!! Thank very much both of you for your time !!! Looks like we are getting rid of our question marks !!!
Now we have only exclamation marks, but this time on purpose !!! "Ελληνικό" means just Greek so don't worry  ;D

I'll have to learn Chinese to tell you about the second phrase !!!

Greetings
Costis

kate

That's good news ...  and thanks for the translation :-)
Kate