• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Shipping

Started by mtoon, May 18, 2008, 03:22:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mtoon

Most of the items in our store are lightweight and the customer receives free shipping, but some of the items are very heavy and we'd like to place a shipping surcharge on these items.  My original thought was to create an order total module that looks at the weight of the items in the cart and if they are not zero, add them up and place a table rate on that.  But before I write that, I wanted to see if there was any way in the system to already do this.  I know there is a table-rate shipping module, but we do not want to enable it because it then prompts the user if they want table rate (lots of money) or free (obviously better for the consumer!)...  Any thoughts?
Thank you

julie

If you just enable the table rate module it should work . Below certain weights you just configure it for $0 .

mtoon

That's a good idea, but what about giving the user the option of express or standard?  I currently have created two shipping modules.. Flat rate express and flat rate standard.   Ultimately we want the user to be able to select Express shipping or regular shipping and have the table applied then. 

Thanks again!

julie

Why don't you create a table rate express and a table rate standard shipping module ? Below a certain weight, they both return 0.

rula

Hi Konakarts,

I miss the free shipping entry in CatalogCheckoutDeliveryBody.jsp.
orderMgr.getShippingQuotes().length = 0 if I have selected the free shipping module in the admin app.

In the past, I say a entry for free shipping to select in the pages for the checkout process.

Exists such an entry and where is it now.

regards, rula

pete

Have you installed the free shipping module ?

rula

Hi pete,
sure, I have installed the free shopping module, but it appears not in the list of the jsp. The array is empty, if I only install this module. The other delivery modules are avialable after installation.

regards, rula

pete

It should only appear if the product(s) in the order are all associated to free shipping. Maybe in your case you have only the free shipping module installed but your order has a shipping charge so it is not displayed but it is the only module installed ?

rula

Hi pete,
oh sorry pete, I don't have accociated the order products with the product type 'pysical free shipping'.
Thanks for your help. The product type of the order products is the key for the available shipping (or perhaps payment too) modules.
By the way, can I configure own product types in konakart?

regards, rula

pete

QuoteBy the way, can I configure own product types in konakart?

The product types set in the Admin App aren't configurable since KonaKart has to know what they mean in order to deliver different business decisions based on the type. These types are very generic i.e. Physical product, Digital Download, Bundle.... and should cover all products that KonaKart can handle.

Obviously then, within the application you can further categorise your product by associating it to  a category, manufacturer and by giving it tags.

rula

Hi pete,

thank you very much for your super answers and your good tips.
In the future I have to look better in the faq's and first of all in the java api doc.
Here and in the code of the modules I will find most of the answers of my questions, but not all.

regards, rula