• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Ability to sell a subscription product with monthly renewal (automatic)

Started by kyleff, May 29, 2009, 04:32:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kyleff

Hello,

I am currently evaluating KonaKart and so far it does everything I need but I have a question.  What I want to sell is a subscription based product which will automatically renew each month.  I cannot find any information in the product documentation about how I would do this.  I do see one post asking a similar question but the reply was not clear to me.  I am hoping that this kind of functionality is availble in KonaKart itself so that I can deal with notifying the customer about these renewals and also deal with issues like expired credit card numbers.

This seems like a fairly common kind of product in todays ecommerce world, can you point me at any documentation about how I can support this in KonaKart?  Have others in the community already built extensions (if needed) to handle this.

Thanks much for your assistance.

julie

Are you thinking of storing the CC details or letting the payment gateway perform the recurring transactions ?

In the latter case it would be the payment gateway that informs you that the CC has expired and you would inform the customer. Then I think that you'd have to customize the application to add a panel in the My Account section where the customer can add a new credit card and when he clicks enter, you perform a payment gateway transaction to renew the Credit Card without ever storing it.

kyleff

Hi Julie,

I guess I am willing to do the approach which works best and easiest within KonaKart.  If I have the payment gateway do the reoccuring transation how does that work?  Do I get notifications about the transaction?  Can I tell ahead of time that it is about to occur?  How would a failed credit card transaction get announced back to the ecommerce system?

I had assumed that I would store the credit card but I know this causes more PCI compliance issues and would certainly be open to an approach were I don't need to do this while providing a good user experiene. 

Any additional details would be appreciated.  Do you know of customers who are selling these kinds of products with KonaKart?

Thanks much.

julie

I think that the answers to your questions depend on which gateway you plan to use. Do you have one in mind ?

kyleff

Again I would be willing to pick a gateway which makes this use case work.

However I have someone looking into the PayPal gateway since that one has name recognition with me.
But if others are better at this reoccuring subscription model then I would like to hear about it.

Thanks again.

julie

ajn1130

I am also having a problem. I want to enable recurring billing and have followed all the steps in the Developer Manual in Chapter 12 but the options are not showing up anywhere in checkout. Any ideas?

trevor

It's not clear what you are expecting to show up  ???

The installed payment module should appear to the customer and he uses that to pay for the purchase. If you are using a gateway that supports recurring billing, then in the OrderIntegrationMgr you should edit the manageSubscriptions() method to create and save the subscription object and also to send it to the payment gateway which will actually do the billing at regular intervals.