• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Installation error - Message: Data truncation: Data too long for column 'categ

Started by BruceLee, September 21, 2007, 05:49:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceLee

Dear Sir/Madam,

When I tried to install KonaKart, I got following error on wizard page "Initialise the KonaKart Database". Any ideas?

My PC OS: Windows Vista Home Premium, English version (But set non-Unicode default to other language)
MySQL 5.0.41-community-nt
Create table in mysql:
  CREATE DATABASE `dbcart`
       CHARACTER SET 'utf8'
       COLLATE 'utf8_general_ci';

-----------------------------------------------
INSERT INTO categories_description VALUES ( '8', '2', 'Tastaturen');
INSERT INTO categories_description VALUES ( '9', '2', 'Mäuse');
Message:   Data truncation: Data too long for column 'categories_name' at row 1
SQLState:  01004
ErrorCode: 0

Thanks in advance!
-Bruce

trevor

Hello Bruce,

That's a tricky one.

It seems that it stumbles on processing the ä in 'Mäuse'. 

Your MySQL settings look identical to mine so it's a puzzle.   Perhaps it's the Vista configuration?

One thing you could try is to install KonaKart without requesting the database setup in the wizard then after this install has finished, you can load the sql by hand.  The SQL is in database/MySQL/konakart_demo.sql under the KonaKart home directory.

Can you try that?

Regards,
Trevor

BruceLee

Thank Trevor for quick response.

I tried manually in mysql, but still got same error
----
D:\Programs\KonaKart\database\MySQL>mysql dbcart -uroot -proot < konakart_demo.sql
ERROR 1406 (22001) at line 630: Data too long for column 'categories_name' at row 1

Then I replaced the string in demo.sql with "AAA". If I save it as UTF-8 (default), mysql appears not to know comment "#" anymore, and error
----
D:\Programs\KonaKart\database\MySQL>mysql dbcart -uroot -proot < konakart_demo-utf8.sql
ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 1: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL serv
er version for the right syntax to use near '锘?
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS address_book' at line 1

Then if I save demo.sql as ANSI, it went further, but still error. But I cannot even find the Incorrect string value: '\xA1\xE8le' in demo.sql!
----
D:\Programs\KonaKart\database\MySQL>mysql dbcart -uroot -proot < konakart_demo-ansi.sql
ERROR 1366 (HY000) at line 1220: Incorrect string value: '\xA1\xE8le p...' for column 'products_description' at row 1

I attached my changed sql FYI (Since 192k limit, I zipped them). Any clues? Thanks again,
-Bruce

trevor

Hi Bruce,

I think you have tried some very sensible things.

Since you will no doubt be changing most of these values when you define your own shop, I think it's a good idea to replace any characters causing problems with a replacement character that can be loaded in your environment.   I see that you've done this in the ansii version however I think there are some problems with the resulting file.   

Some of the conversions to AAA look OK, but there are a number that appear as:  AAA¡  (the last character isn't an i but an odd symbol that might be breaking the data load.

Could you try removing all those odd characters after the "AAA"s and try loading that ansi file again?

Another possibility is to experiment with command line switches on the mysql tool to get it to recognise the characters in the original file.   I'm not an expert on mysql but I imagine there would be a way to do this.

Rgds,
John