• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

linux download vs windows download differences

Started by gabrielpadurean, December 22, 2008, 09:43:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gabrielpadurean

hi all,

it is possible to use on windows the konakart download for linux?
In the konakart/bin directory are the scripts for starting web apps in tomcat for linux (sh files), but could I use the the linux installation on windows, but using a windows specific tomcat(bat files)? is tomcat the only OS dependecy? or there are some other things that I should be aware?

use case: I need to move the konakart project to a svn reporitory from my personal pc(ubuntu user), but I used the linux installation kit, but is possible that some people that will use the svn code are windows users and I need to know if I should give it a try or I should use the manual installation kit(the zip file).(hope this manual installation is not the best solution because I modified a lot of files in the original project and I think it will take some time to do the merge)

thanks a lot,
gabi

Brian

if you look at the zip installation you'll see all the sh and bat files you need for starting up/shutting down KonaKart on the respective platforms.

Be aware that when you run one of the automated installations a lot of platform-specific configuration settings are applied (eg. setting appropriate file locations in configuration values).

What you could do now is to add the bat files from a Windows KonaKart installation to your svn repository for maximum convenience for your users on Windows.  Alternatively...  you could get your Windows users to use the full Windows installation and to get some kind of patch from your svn system...  this has the advantage of having all the config values set appropriately for those windows users.

gabrielpadurean

ok...I understand the options I have...
but as you said if I copy paste the bat files from a windows installation to the bin directory of a linux installation is there a chance to work? because you said
that when installing for a specific platform some platform-specific configuration settings are applied. that would be the easiest solution for me if it works.

thanks for your answer,
gabi

Brian

If I understand what you're trying to do there, then yes it will work.

You'll have to modify the various references to the wrong paths names in the configuration values of course.