• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

New Payment Method - Electronic Funds Transfer

Started by Jonnyb, July 08, 2008, 10:29:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonnyb

Hi guys

I am someone who is absolutely clueless when it comes to stuff like this so I hope someone can help me set this up.

I am working on a South African based Computer Company's web site and so far KonaKart looks to be the most promising candidate for an online shopping cart product.

I just need to know is it possible to add a new payment method, ie. EFT (Electronic File Transfer) and of course remove any others that are in the script as options, thus only leaving EFT as the only means to pay via the internet.

Common sense tells me that it would have to work something like this.  Being a South African based company, we'd probably let the link point to a page which enables you to select whatever bank you are with, and that when clicked takes you to your bank's relevant Internet Banking web site, which naturally opens in a popup or new browser window.  Now this is the part I don't know if it's possible.  Once you've made your payment, you can close this window and you can probably enter like a reference number that you've supplied in your EFT payment so it can be checked back on our records to confirm if payment has been received, then the order can be processed.

If anyone can tell me how this can be done with little to know hassles, I'd appreciate it.

Kind Thanks

Jonathan

ming

Hi Jonathan,

For the first part of the question, thre's no problem removing payment modules that you don't want  - you can do all this from the Admin App.

For the EFT payment module I think the options will depend on the services of the banks in question.   It sounds like a debit card payment would do what you require here?   If your customers are likely to have debit cards perhaps this is the easiest solution for you?  If so, you could write a payment module for debit cards.

Another option could be if your customers set up a direct debit facility - but this doesn't sound like what you want for a one-off payment.

If you need to check payment has been made by referencing reference numbers on your own bank receipts this is all possible but this would be outside the payment module.    You would probably need to write some background job that checked orders in a certain state against the bank receipts and when you find a match you change the status of the order to indicate that payment has been made.

Ming

Jonnyb

Actually on a clear mind, I think might be even simpler than I first anticipated.

The thing is I don't have the relevant knowledge to put the idea to code.  That's the main reason for the post.  I was hoping someone could help me out.

This is the (more coherently put) idea for the module.

Part of the KonaKart process:  Clients look through catalog, selects products they want, checkout etc.
Part of module process:  Payment method is selected as EFT (I need it to be this specifically because in South Africa its an easy method of paying online), it carries you through to another screen which would be a simple page listing logos/pictures of all the major banks in south africa and links back to their Internet Banking Web Sites.  When you click on one of these it opens the relevant page in a popup window.  The popup window can have an iframe at the top stating that after the payment is complete, they can close the window.  After the client has made his payment, he can then close the window.  Below the Bank picture links there can then be a reference box, where they can fill in whatever the reference is that they have used in the EFT transfer and then we can reconcile it in our records.
Part of Client Login:  They would have the option to see if the payment has reconciled with our records and if the order has been processed.  (We would naturally be able to flag this in the Admin section).

Is this too involved or is it actually possible to do?

Thanks

Jonathan

pete

Hi,

What if your customer doesn't have online banking ? How would he pay then ?

ming

July 09, 2008, 08:53:26 am #4 Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:01:52 am by ming
Hi Jonathan,

What you describe sounds perfectly feasible but since I'm assuming you can't verify the payemnt has been made in real time there would be a delay between the user paying by this form of EFT and you shipping the product.   Is that OK for you? 

(In the UK for BACS transfers you might have to wait 3 or 4 days before you could verify the payment)

Ming

Jonnyb

Pete: This is just a matter of convenience for the clients, most of our clients hail from one specific area, so this is just an alternate payment method to actually coming in to the shop and paying cash.

Ming: Payment via EFT usually takes one day to register on our systems, so its quite a bit quicker than your BACS system.  We are notified via Text Message when cash has been deposited into our bank accounts, so then we can process the order a lot quicker.

pete

QuotePete: This is just a matter of convenience for the clients, most of our clients hail from one specific area, so this is just an alternate payment method to actually coming in to the shop and paying cash.

I suppose for the case where the customer is from another area and doesn't have online banking, he could actually go to his bank and instruct them to do the transfer ? If you'd like to allow this, you could give him the possibility of associating the transaction reference to the order in a deferred way, after logging in again.

Jonnyb

I'm assuming you mean, manual deposit and you just add the keyword you are to use in the script as a reference on the deposit slip.  That could work yes.

So that would mean creating a Manual Deposit option, besides the EFT payment option.

pete

Yes, manual deposit. You could generate a reference keyword which you save in a custom field of the order and ask your customer to use this as the reference when they make the deposit. In this way they wouldn't have to log in again to notify you of the reference they have used. On second thoughts, this would make it easier for the online case as well.

Jonnyb

It all sounds good, but how do I go about implimenting this into your app?

pete

QuoteIt all sounds good, but how do I go about implimenting this into your app?

Our professional services team could do it for you. If you'd like them to give you a quote, please contact support AT konakart.com.

Jonnyb

Is it difficult to do it myself?

If not how do I go about doing it?  What are the processes involved?

pete

QuoteIs it difficult to do it myself?

If not how do I go about doing it?  What are the processes involved?

It depends on your level of Java development skills. Maybe you should read http://www.konakart.com/customizationfaq.php#How_do_I_create_a_new_payment_module_ and then decide how to proceed.

Jonnyb

I'll play around with it, thanks for the info.

Just a quick question, do you allow scripts like the one i want created to be posted on the forum or do you have a contributions area where people can download it?

I'll provide the created script to whomever wants it when im done.

Thanks

pete

QuoteJust a quick question, do you allow scripts like the one i want created to be posted on the forum or do you have a contributions area where people can download it?

There is a contributions area on the forum which you could use.