• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Where could i get web hosting for Konakart?

Started by elisehoo, November 05, 2007, 06:17:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elisehoo

November 05, 2007, 06:17:16 pm Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 06:26:02 pm by elisehoo
Hi All,

first, i have to thank you to konakart who have provided us this excellent commerce cart.

That is something that i am not sure, do i need to start up the konakart engine on my hosting server? if yes,
how do i do that if i host it on web hosting?

I am confused because i'm knowing that i need to start up the konakart engine to running the web application while i have done a setup on my pc.My puzzle is how do i do that if i want to do the same thing on web hosting? How do i start up the engine so that the konakart program can be running?

If anyone could tell me what is recommend hosting to me to host the konakart cart?Thanks

Thanks

trevor

Hi Elisehoo,

Quotefirst, i have to thank you to konakart who have provided us this excellent commerce cart.

I'm glad you like it  :)

QuoteThat is something that i am not sure, do i need to start up the konakart engine on my hosting server? if yes,
how do i do that if i host it on web hosting?

How you start it up will depend on how your web hosting company works.. and which operating system you choose to run on.  Some web hosting companies will give you complete freedom on a server all of your own, whereas others may choose to "protect" you by restricting your access to our own virtual server that is shared with other users.   
If you have freedom to access the machine you can start KonaKart in one of the standard start-up scripts for the system.   If not, the web hoster will almost certainly allow you a way to run your programs at the start-up of your virtual server.

Don't forget that KonaKart is a J2EE application so you need to choose a web hosting company that lets you run java applications - not all of them do.

Some web hosting companies have gone one step further than this and have provided a "point-and-click" installation of KonaKart itself.   eApps (www.eapps.com) are one such web hosting company and they might well be ideal for your needs.   You simply have to enable KonaKart on your account and eApps will install it and start it up for you.  After it's started up you can set up your store parameters (product catalogs etc) using the KonaKart Admin App.   It's one of the quickest ways to get a KonaKart store up and running and without having to have an in-depth knowledge of the operating system underneath.

If you do try eApps, or any other ISP for that matter, please feed back your experience to this forum for the benefit of others - thanks!

Regards,
Trevor

elisehoo

jbarb

I have another question regarding web hosting and configuration of the shopping cart itself.
I have KonaKart installed and working correctly. The installation tool installed the database and the tables i.e. products, customers, prices. I have not loaded my particular product names etc into the tables as of yet.

I have downloaded and installed a Cataolog inspector using Open Laszlo with checkout that is called the Amazon catalog demo. I want to use this configuration in conjunction with KonaKart.

I have an existing web site hosed by Gate http://www.envirosales.com
and want to either incorporate my existing site with konakart and the Open Laszlo catalog or combine my existing active web site with KonaKart using my present web host. Which would be easier and how do I do it?

How do I begin to configure MYSQL tables and will they automatically configure the catalog page I choose to reflect my products and company name?

I have a dozen products in "green biotechnologies" (bioremediation products for oil spill cleanup) and sorbent products. The Laszlo catalog inspector technology seems to be perfect for my application. It also seems to be slightly easier to configure/code than HTML

Where do I start?

Thanks,

J Barber

heidi

Hi,

It's difficult to say without knowing the Open Laszlo product that you speak about.   

What I can say is that KonaKart is designed to be easy to integrate with so at least you have plenty of options.

I'm surprised you prefer Open Laszlo programming to HTML, I've never been a fan of programming in XML like that, but we're all different  :)

Heidi

jbarb

Heidi,

Thank you for your timely reply.

The open Laszlo demo is http://127.0.0.1:8080/lps-3.3.3/demos/amazon/amazon.lzo?fb=1&lzt=htmlused by Amazon.com 

It will allow me to eliminate three or four pages of my original (Envirosales) shopping cart and add numerous other features on a single page which were lacking in my existing shopping cart. My cart is java but has some bugs that I could never quite seem to work out, and is clumsy and difficult edit/modify. This Amazon demo is perfect if I can get it to work with my existing site.

However, if rebuilding the existing site using XML will be less grief I would be willing to try that.  Will I be able to use MS Front Page 2003 as an XML editor?

Js Barber

heidi

Hi,

I can't see your 127.0.0.1 address of course but I have seen the Amazon demo you refer to.   

What you would have to do is to source your products from the KonaKart database rather than the Amazon Database.   To do this you would make use of the KonaKart APIs to access products.   I don't know but I imagine the existing demo uses SOAP calls to Amazon to get the product data;   you could use SOAP calls to access products from KonaKart.

You might find that working with OpenLaszlo isn't as easy as it looks.

Heidi

jbarb

Heidi,

I am giving serious consideration to what you say regarding Open Laszlo and XML.
I dont know how to access the database for the Amazon template but I will keep trying till I figure it out.

I have another possible problem with KonaKart itself.

I can start KonaKart Admin from the desktop icon but cannot start Konakart or Konakart Server from the start menu or from C:\Program Files\KonaKart\bin. All I get is "cannot display this web page for  "Launch KonaKart" and for "Start KonaKart Server" Tomcat starts and at the beginning it says "The Apache Tomcat Library which allows optimal performance in a production environment was not found in the Java.library.path"....... and then referers to the various paths that java was installed. It also states something about "Norton Ghost" at the end of the path string.

Tomcat appears to complete the startup routine and states "Catalina Start" Info: Server startup in 29895 ms
There is a blinking cursor but you cannot enter data.

Is Konakart and KonaKart Server and KonaKart Admin supposed to operate independently of one another and if so what is the purpose of these other KonaKart applications?

Thanks,

JS Barber

heidi

Hi,

To use the KonaKart or KonaKart Admin applications you must first run tomcat.  Tomcat is the "KonaKart Server".   So, you run that first, then you can point your browser at eith of the two KonaKart applications - eg. "Launch KonaKart"

There is a "Start and Launch KonaKart" icon that starts the tomcat server, then launches browsers showing each application.

Your tomcat server startup sounds OK.  If you don't wnat Norton Ghost on your path, take it off.  It's nothing to do with KonaKart and won't stop it working.

The KonaKart application is the demo shop application. This is the one your customers see and use to buy things.  The KonaKart Admin application is for the store owner to administer the store - eg. set configuration values, load products, define categories etc.   You can run one without the other but they should point at the same database.

Heidi

jbarb

Heidi,

Thanks for all your help. Everything seems to be working fine. I am going to try and configure a catalog inspector page using Open Laszlo or if you could suggest another method I would certainly like to hear about it.
I have around two dozen products total to list and I believe I can use a one page shopping cart.

Thanks for your help

J Barber

heidi

Hi,

I would use whatever you're most comfortable with.  There are certainly plenty of technologies to choose from, and with a relatively low number of products you have a few more options for presenting these.

However, unless you are proficient with another technology, I would expect the easiest route would be to start with our standard application and change only the bits you need to - eg, you could transfrom it by changing the style sheets and images.

.. but you may just want to use OpenLaszlo to learn how to use that?  I have no doubt that a site built well and entirely with Open Laszlo could be very impressive and user-friendly - so if you think you can do that, we would love to see the results!

Good luck,

Heidi

Amirudin

Hi..
Anyone can help me choose web hostnig for konakart is cheap ???