• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

barcode scanning/reading integration

Started by amarsyed, February 19, 2008, 10:02:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

amarsyed

Hi,

Could a barcode scanner work with the front end or admin web applications?  I have OSCommerce at the moment and I feel that if I move to konaKart it would be worth trying to get barcode scanning integrated.  I know you can get fairly cheap USB barcode scanners from Ebay in the UK.  I guess a simple way would be to have barcodes generated for each SKU and whenever a user wants to search an item they would have to put the focus within the SKU search field (if there is one) and possibly hit enter.  This would ease a lot of manual typing time.  Advanced usages would be to have barcodes that perform specific functionality but that might require a custom client (java) program that invokes the server API.
As a start functionality provided to generate barcodes through the admin app and allowing a barcode reader to enter the barcode value into the admin app, would be excellent.

thanks

Amar

julie

Hi Amar,

Yes there is an SKU search field in the Admin App so what you are saying is that a bar code reader may work out of the box if it can populate that field ? Also as you point out, anyone can use the API directly to create a "vertical UI" that solves a specific business use case.

As a start functionality provided to generate barcodes through the admin app

Could you expand on that idea with a few more details on how you'd expect it to work ?

Thx,

Julie