• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Internationalization

Started by hasalem, January 28, 2008, 06:11:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hasalem

Dear All,

I've started to localize the Konakart to Arabic Language. Everything is good till now, I've only one problem which is in the One page checkout:
In this page, the "Sub-Total" string is appeared, Although I translated all messages in the messages.properties with the arabic locale. I don't know exactly where this string comes from. the same for "Total" string.

Also, I need to localize the name of the Shipping module, and the payment module.

I will be thankful if anyone can guide me to localize these titles.

Best Regards
Hatem Salem

ming

Hi Hatem,

For sub-total and total I think these are defined in the module properties files.

eg:  look inside the jar in the lib directory for the konakart webapp:  konakart_ordertotal_subtotal.jar

The english one has:  (Subtotal_en.properties)

module.order.total.subtotal.title=Sub-Total
module.order.total.subtotal.description=Order Sub-Total

You could edit those properties files and put them back in the jar or in the classes directory...  Alternatively you could edit these properties files in the custom\modules\src\com\konakart\bl\modules\ordertotal\subtotal source code and rebuild new jars with the ant build file provided... then replace the jars.  (This approach is probably easier - check the guide to building the custom jars if you haven't seen that already http://www.konakart.com/customizationfaq.php)

Shipping and payment modules are similar.

It would be great if you could contribute the translations to the contributions board on this forum when you've finished.

I'd also like to see your website in Arabic when you can send us a link!

Thanks,
Ming

hasalem

Hi Ming,
Many thanks for your invaluable information, really you helped me a lot. Also, excuse me, because it is my third day with Konakart.

I've finished most of L10N for Arabic. I've just started testing the whole site now, but I have some comments
I found some hard coded messages, really they are very rare like "Prev & Next" in ProductsBody.jsp
So I have modified this JSP.

I will try to send the L10N files as soon as I finish them, also I will send the URL of KonaKart in Arabic. I think I should send also the JSPs that I have modified for that. Do u have any suggestions?

Best Regards
Hatem Salem

ming

Hi Hatem,

Thanks for pointing out the hard-coded Prev and Next strings.   We should probably add those to our message catalog in the next version (no need to send us the jsp, thanks).   I'll raise the suggestion internally.

If you find any more hard-coded strings, please let us know, it would be good if we could eliminate these.

Good news that you are making good progress with this on only your 3rd day with KonaKart!  Well done!

Ming

hasalem

Hi Ming,

It's very interesting to work with great code and project like Konakart. Thanks for your effort.

Regarding Hardcoded strings,  I found also the countries names in the registration page. first I thought they will come  from the DB. but they are hardcoded in the page itself.

Again, thanks for this great S/W

Best Regards
Hatem Salem

ming

Hello again,

I can confirm that the Prev & Next that you mentioned earlier will be added to the message catalog in the next release.

For the countries, these are hard-coded to allow people to change them to restrict the countries allowed and to improve performance.

Thanks also for your kind words about KonaKart! 

Regards,
Ming

hasalem

Hi Ming,

I think the same purpose can be achievd through the countries functionality in the Admin page.

I haven't got yet a good vision for Konakart Architecture, but only I think that. What do u think?

Best regards
Hatem Salem

ming

Hi Hatem,

That is true;  if you want you could retrieve the country list from the DB through the API (use getAllCountries() see javadoc at (http://www.konakart.com/javadoc/server/).

Since this really tends to be very static data, we hard-code it in the jsp for optimum performance.

You have a choice over these decisions!

Regards,
Ming