• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Split Shipping or Multiple Ship-Tos

Started by Railwhore, January 12, 2008, 06:15:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Railwhore

First, you have a very nice solution here. A few comments and questions:

A nice feature would be to move the shipping address info under each orderline so a user can select, edit or add a new shipping address to each product. From the demo site, it seems you can add as many addresses as you want but you can't assign different ship-tos to the orderlines. A user should be allowed to do this. For example, orderline 1 ships to Phoenix, and orderline 2 ships to New York. I will look at an nice way to do this for you if it isn't already implemented. Perhaps this is just a UI issue ( I haven't jumped into the source yet).

Any plans on a Spring/Hibernate migration :)?

Last quick question after quick database scan, why no foreign key constraint on order table back to customer to prevent order deletion? I can't think of any situation where I would want to delete an order, regardless of status.

julie

Thanks for the comments. We always appreciate feedback from our users.

A nice feature would be to move the shipping address info under each orderline so a user can select, edit or add a new shipping address to each product. From the demo site, it seems you can add as many addresses as you want but you can't assign different ship-tos to the orderlines. A user should be allowed to do this. For example, orderline 1 ships to Phoenix, and orderline 2 ships to New York. I will look at an nice way to do this for you if it isn't already implemented. Perhaps this is just a UI issue ( I haven't jumped into the source yet).

This is definitely on our todo list. As you said, we already support multiple addresses so we are part of the way there. The missing bit (besides the UI mods) is how to store this information in the order. At the moment the order only supports one shipping address so we need to modify the data structure of the order subsystem to allow for multiple shipping addresses and for these addresses to be linked to the order products. It gets complicated because even identical order products may need to be split up. i.e. At the moment if you order 10 TVs of the same make and model we only produce one order product record with a quantity of 10. If you require each one to be shipped to different locations, we'd have to produce 10 different records, each one of which is linked to a different address.

Any plans on a Spring/Hibernate migration ?

We take a pragmatic approach to software design and regard technology as a "means to an end". i.e. We will only implement new technologies when we feel that our current ones aren't up to the job. Although this position is arguable, we don't feel that we have much to gain by moving to Spring/Hibernate. We'd rather spend our development time in adding new features (such as the one mentioned above) which are things that will benefit KonaKart users directly.

Last quick question after quick database scan, why no foreign key constraint on order table back to customer to prevent order deletion? I can't think of any situation where I would want to delete an order, regardless of status.

We started off with the osCommerce database and have added many new features since our first release. I'm sure that someone out there for whatever crazy reason, does require to delete orders  :) Anyway, if this isn't your case, you are free to add the constraint.

Have a good weekend,

Julie