• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Ability to append category/manufacturer to product name

Started by Steveinjava, December 18, 2007, 01:49:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Steveinjava

Most eCommerce sites have lots of products per manufacturer and also per category. To identify each product in the shopping cart & the invoice you generally have to call the product ManufacturersName + ProductName + ProductOptions + Category.
Rather than having to put that into the db for every product it would help a lot of you could opt to include the category/manufacturer in the product.
While it would be an easy hack to alter the code to do this that update would be lost when Konakart gets updated- also some products might not suit this so the ability to select it via a tick box seems appropriate.
As an example if I sell a bicycle tyre its name might be "Axial Pro" but the full name needs to be "Michelin Axial Pro 700c Tyre"
What does anybody else think?

pete

Steve,

QuoteTo identify each product in the shopping cart & the invoice

The data is in the db so what you display on the invoice and on checkout screens is up to you.

QuoteWhile it would be an easy hack to alter the code to do this that update would be lost when Konakart gets updated

Your code would only be replaced by the new code if you choose it to be replaced.  One of the important advantages of KonaKart is that you are encouraged to program to the APIs and if you do this and you're happy with what your code does, there is no reason to replace it.   You could still upgrade the engine to gain access to new features that are implemented in the KonaKart engine and make use of these in your implementation as and when you see fit (potentially using the new versions of the JSPs as implementation examples).

IMHO:  I think your idea would not have wide appeal and so would not suggest it goes into the product especially when there are ways to do what you want without product changes.  It seems an unusual idea to me that's better suited to your own implementation.   Maybe other people have different views...

Pete