• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Attempting install on GoDaddy host

Started by Burz, December 14, 2007, 05:47:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Burz

Can anyone recommend the best steps for installing KK 2.2.06 on a GoDaddy shared host with Linux 2.4, Java 5, and MySQL 5?

There is no shell access to run bin/startkonakart.sh, nor is there 'super' privileges in MySQL to allow the KK_IF function to be installed.

The 'root' directory of the account contains WEB-INF. Does this mean I should only upload what is contained in ../webapps/konakart ? That would seem to leave out important parts, like /bin and /conf...

Need advice!  :-\

heidi

Hello Burz,

This will definitely not be as easy as just installing with the GUI installer but you should still be able to get up and running.

I would start by installling with the GUI installer, or silent installer if there's no display, on your development machine.   At least you can see it all running in this way and get access to all the source code and development kits that are supplied in the download (and don't live under WEB-INF).

Fortunately, from version 2.2.1.0 you will not need privileges to create the database in MySQL because you no longer have to create the KK_IF function - so the database load should be ok now.

It sounds like they want you to use their own tomcat which they probably allow you to start and stop from some kind of a control panel?

You need to copy the directories konakart, konakartadmin and birt-viewer up to your server and place them directly under webapps.  WEB-INF is too deep, you need to go up to webapps.

Heidi

Burz

Hi Heidi,

Oh wow, the version number increments again! Looks like nice progress. How should I upgrade with my jsp customizations, use diff as a guide?

Also thanks for the eaps.com recommendation in the other thread. Not sure if their "Standard Plus VPS" would meet the KK requirements or if another package is necessary.

Good/bad news about the KK_IF. But that's what I needed to know.

As for file hierarchy, maybe I would have to go up even further above ../webapps if host doesn't supply tomcat? I don't see any reference to Tomcat on the GD control panel. Would it be possible to upload it and start it, perhaps from a CGI?

I have been through the GUI installer a number of times, and have a customized KK on my in-house system. I suppose when uploading the files to the remote server, I would need to change the image path in addition to db info. Are there other paths I'll need to change?

-Burz

Burz

Heidi, I found out eaps does support (even offers) KK with their Standard Plus plan.

I am likely to switch providers at this point, so don't go to any great lengths to answer my Tomcat questions. However I am still curious about the best way to upgrade a customized KK.

Thanks again,

Burz

heidi

Hello Burz,

QuoteI found out eaps does support (even offers) KK with their Standard Plus plan.

You should be fine on eApps.   Our own website is hosted by eApps and our KonaKart demo runs there as well!   (We use ssh access to set up our demo however).

Please note that eApps have "packaged" up KonaKart and are able to offer it as a selectable service via a click selection on your control panel (at least I think they have - I've never seen it myself).   The advantages are an almost trivial installation process.. (perfect for some users)..  but the problem is you have to use the version of KonaKart that they are currently packaging.   I believe that their current offering is KonaKart 2.2.0.4 which is quite an old one.   We spoke to them this week about this situation and they are busy with an upgrade process to Cent OS 5 on which they will make the latest version of KonaKart available. 

Despite this, if you get ssh access with eApps, you can install any version of KonaKart yourself, so you have a choice!

QuoteI am likely to switch providers at this point, so don't go to any great lengths to answer my Tomcat questions. However I am still curious about the best way to upgrade a customized KK.

Thanks for the warning.

Heidi

heidi

Hello Burz,

QuoteOh wow, the version number increments again! Looks like nice progress.

Yes, another release, but we're very careful to maintain backwards compatibility - so ensure that you program your solutions to the APIs and you should be fine when upgrading.

QuoteHow should I upgrade with my jsp customizations, use diff as a guide?

You have a choice here.  Since the JSPs use the KonaKart APIs which are maintained to support previous versions, if you are happy with your JSPs you shouldn't need to do anything.
However, if you want to use the new ones that (in 2.2.1.0) make it easier to "skin" with stylesheets, you will need to merge your JSPs with the new ones.

QuoteGood/bad news about the KK_IF. But that's what I needed to know.

Should be good news as this change also makes it possible to run KonaKart with earlier versions of MySQL which didn't support these user-defined functions.

As for your questions on CGI and what your ISP supplies... I don't know what your set-up is but it sounds rather restricted.   You will probably find it easier to get ssh access and install using the normal installer.  It'll save you a lot of problems.

QuoteI have been through the GUI installer a number of times, and have a customized KK on my in-house system. I suppose when uploading the files to the remote server, I would need to change the image path in addition to db info. Are there other paths I'll need to change?

There would be some other paths to change - see http://www.konakart.com/configurationfaq.php .  This is another advantage of using the installer which takes care of all of this for you during the installation.

Heidi

Burz

Godaddy is just not working: They plainly have Tomcat running on our account, but there is no way to administer it and it will only run jsp code and not servlets. We have looked at a number of hosting providers including eapps and have settled on trying the less-expensive Ubiquity.com for now, which I found on this guide: http://jspwiki.org/wiki/JSPWikiFriendlyWebHosting

You've been a great help, Heidi. Thanks!

heidi

Hello Burz,

With so many variables it can be a complicated business finding the ideal hosting company!   Thanks for posting your feedback...  please let us, and this community, know how things work out with Ubiquty.

Good luck,
Heidi

Burz

FYI - Our first tests at our Ubiquity.com site worked. Their staff have also been pretty helpful.