• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Konakart Admin App

Started by msa, March 24, 2007, 07:21:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

msa

First of all let me say congrats on the launch of the new admin app.

I had downloaded it and used it for a few hours today. Its great. I encountered a few hicups mainly coz i was using my old database and some of the new config parameters were not present like the product images was not displaying. I added the image base fields into the configuration table and it started to work.  :)

Overall great effort guys. This app was very much needed to go along with the konakart application.  8)

Will test it further and keep posting comments.

Rgds
Shaheem.

paolo

Thanks for the feedback Shaheem, and please keep it coming.

If you haven't spent time creating your own catalog yet, I advise to run the database script completely because we've removed unused config variables and added a few new order statuses. Also we've modified some existing config variables to place them in the correct groups. If this is a problem, let us know and we'll try and come up with an update script. From now on we'll always provide an update script between versions.

-Paolo

msa

Hi Poalo,

U welcome.

Well i havent started on my catalog yet, so it might be easy for me. Actually i have two databases setup at the moment. One for the new konakart version and one for the old and i just change the parameters in the properities file to switch between databases. In reality full online konakart users would want to keep they old databases as they have already spent a lot of time configuring and customizing it. If they run the new database script completely they will loose they cofigs such as Company address, name, payment methods enabled etc. Seting these up again will be a pain. So i would agree that an update script between version would be a better solution and more user friendly.

Oh and one more thing. On a first glance i have noted that the reports menu is missing altogether. The reports feature as in the php admin version would be helpful and would summarise a lot of bussiness analysis. Since konakart is targeted towards medium to large sized businesses a comprehensive reporting feature would be just great. Maybe you guys already have that on your ToDo list right :)

Nways evrything else seems to be working fine at the moment.

Shaheem.

Quote from: paolo on March 24, 2007, 08:01:47 am
Thanks for the feedback Shaheem, and please keep it coming.

If you haven't spent time creating your own catalog yet, I advise to run the database script completely because we've removed unused config variables and added a few new order statuses. Also we've modified some existing config variables to place them in the correct groups. If this is a problem, let us know and we'll try and come up with an update script. From now on we'll always provide an update script between versions.

-Paolo

john

Hi Shaheem,

Thanks for the encouraging feedback.

Yes, we have plans to add Reporting but in order that we could get a useful administration facility out in the shortest possible time, some things were missed off!   (As you know, the data is of course easily accessible from any reporting tool of your choice in the mean time).

Yes, we fully appreciate the data migration issues and will make sure we provide the necessary migration utilities as we move forward.

Any other suggestions are always gratefully received.

Thanks,

John

msa

You welcome guys.

Yup people can creat they own reports as required i guess, the more important one could be the migration tool.

Im currently using Navicat to edit MySQL databases and to create queries and reports. Its really gud and simple. Crystal reports would be gud as well.

Shaheem.

sfsylz

Here's a bug I found. If I delete all of the Categories or Manufacturers, then the buttons on the page disappear, preventing me from adding any new ones. I had to go back and do a manual insert into the database to get the buttons back (and after I added my own Manufacturers/Categories, I deleted the others).

Not a major thing, but something to keep in mind.

john

Hi,

Yes, we have noted that problem.  Sorry for the inconvenience caused.  We will make sure the application can handle missing data from all such tables in the next release.

Thanks for reporting it, please don't hesitate to report anything else you see.

Regards,
John

john

Hi Shaheem,

You may have seen the new release posted today, version 2.2.0.1.

For this release and all future releases there will be a database upgrade script with the following format:  upgrade_old-version_to_new-version.sql  for all directly-supported databases (currently MySQL and PostgreSQL).

For example the script for the 2.2.0.1 release is:

upgrade_2.2.0.0_to_2.2.0.1.sql

You find these upgrade scripts under the installation home directory under ./database/<db>/ provided in each release.

This will upgrade the db from the previous version to the next without wiping all your precious data!

Regards,
John