• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Custom backend

Started by PiotrN, February 03, 2012, 03:27:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PiotrN

Hello,

I would like to know if there is any way I can modify the default, GWT, backend you provide with the installation package?

I know there are injection points I can use for my own purposes (like the pre/post event callbacks or custom panels, custom fields for customer, etc.). I would like, however, to modify the backen so it would e.g. display a select HTML element instead of input text for one of the customer custom fields.
Moreover, I would like to reorganize the layout (i.e. change the filter panel in list grids from upper part of the screen to lower) or change the order of buttons.

Is it possible or do I have to provide my own application which uses Admin API?
Does the situation change if I purchase the Enterprise license?

Thanks in advance.

Rergards,
Piotr

ryan

February 03, 2012, 03:43:09 pm #1 Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:54:36 pm by ryan
QuoteI know there are injection points I can use for my own purposes (like the pre/post event callbacks or custom panels, custom fields for customer, etc.). I would like, however, to modify the backen so it would e.g. display a select HTML element instead of input text for one of the customer custom fields.

The Enterprise release allows you to define different widgets for custom fields, such as RichText, Drop List, Radio Button etc.

QuoteMoreover, I would like to reorganize the layout (i.e. change the filter panel in list grids from upper part of the screen to lower) or change the order of buttons.

Is it possible or do I have to provide my own application which uses Admin API?
Does the situation change if I purchase the Enterprise license?

The Admin App is developed using Google GWT technology. The source code is in Java although at run time it is JavaScript. This means that in order to modify it outside of the supplied "hooks" you require the Java source code. The Admin App does use the Admin APIs so you could write your own front end on top of these APIs to do what you need it to do. The Enterprise License doesn't include the source code, although we do sell the source as a separate package. For any more information you should contact sales at konakart dot com .

PiotrN

Quote from: ryan on February 03, 2012, 03:43:09 pmThe Enterprise release allows you to define different widgets for custom fields, such as RichText, Drop List, Radio Button etc.

That's great, thanks!
When I'll buy the enterprise license, will I be provided with a user guide or any other kind of documentation for the widgets you're talking about?
I understand, that it's possible to execute my custom code which will populate the values that should be represented by those custom fields? Can I use custom validation and processing after the user typed/selected some value for such widget?

Quote from: ryan on February 03, 2012, 03:43:09 pmThe Admin App is developed using Google GWT technology. The source code is in Java although at run time it is JavaScript. This means that in order to modify it outside of the supplied "hooks" you require the Java source code. The Admin App does use the Admin APIs so you could write your own front end on top of these APIs to do what you need it to do. The Enterprise License doesn't include the source code, although we do sell the source as a separate package. For any more information you should contact sales at konakart dot com.

Ok, so if I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), I have three choices when it comes to the admin section:

1. use the "hooks" designed by your admin code to inject/execute my own custom code (so no major changes, but just like "fit in the pipeline"),
2. purchase the Java / GWT source code when purchasing the enterprise license (so I can modify whatever part of the admin I like; will you still provide technical support for such modified code?),
3. develop my own admin backend which uses your admin API.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

kate

Another option is:

If you have a requirement for the Admin App you can ask KonaKart for a quote for supplying that functionality so that it remains in the product in future versions and you don't have to maintain it.

If the feature is considered general enough to be useful to other KonaKart users in the future we tend to share the development costs 50-50 so it can be a cost-effective way to get the functionality you require.

Send your request to sales @ konakart . com if you're interested.

ryan

Here's the documentation for the custom field widgets http://www.konakart.com/docs/CustomProductAttributes.html .

The three options you mention are correct (plus the one mentioned by Kate). If you modify the source of the Admin App we will still support you as long as if you find a bug or problem etc. it can be reproduced in the non modified version. We can't fix bugs you introduce although our support service includes developer support so we can help and guide you when using the APIs and when introducing new code.

PiotrN

@Kate
Thanks for sharing with the fourth option. It's definitely worth considering.

@Ryan
Thanks for clarifications about technical support and for the provided doc. I just got one question - the page you pointed talks about 'product attributes'; can I still use these widgets for customer custom attributes (I'm talking about those five fields "custom1, custom2, etc.)?

ryan

QuoteI just got one question - the page you pointed talks about 'product attributes'; can I still use these widgets for customer custom attributes (I'm talking about those five fields "custom1, custom2, etc.)?

No. At the moment they are just supported for Product Attributes.

PiotrN

Thanks for your prompt answers.