• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Allow customers to insert products via the admin console

Started by jcm464, January 20, 2010, 08:57:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jcm464

Hi,

Thank you so much for sharing with us all your hard work. Truly fantastic source code and a great help to all Java developers.

My question is the following:

I would like to allow customers to add products to the site once they register/login. Basically, once they log in they are re-directed to the admin console or product (#kk_panel_products) page to add products. However, at present users are not allowed to do so, only Admin users have the necessary proviliges/attributes to access the Admin console...

Thanking you in advance
regards
Joe

heidi

You can do this kind of thing by making the users administrator users.  From the Admin App help page on Edit Customer:

The Customer Type may take one of three values:
1. An Administrator User
2. A Standard Application Customer
3. A Default Customer.

An Admin User can also log into the application normally.

Also.. you will want to set up a new role for this kind of user - say AddProductRole - that allows one of these users to insert a new product but not change anything else like all the store's configuration values or delete users etc!  Once you've set up this role you assign it to the user.   Check out the role based security in the Admin App.

Another possibility is to create a product input page in the storefront application and insert the product using the Admin API.

--Heidi

jcm464

Hi Heidi,

Thank you for your thoughts/advice and your prompt reply.

Heidi, I was thinking along the lines of actually allowing all customers to add products onto the site. This meaning, I was planning on creating a sellers button so the customers from their home workstation/laptop can upload items for sale. In order to achieve the stated purpose I though of the following steps:

The user clicks on the seller's button
The user then enters their credentials to access the site
The user then adds products on to the site (name, category, image, price, tax, shipping costs etc). However, the user shall not access any further data and information on the site.

As far as I can see the only way to allow users access to the admin console is, by means of the administrator actually inputting the customer's credentials manually (one by one) and change their privileges to Admin user. Having said that I, liked your suggestion with regards to creating a product input page in the storefront application and insert the product using the Admin API.

I understand I may have to create a sellers table to hold their attributes. Therefore, can you please help with your step by step thoughts on to actually achieve the stated above.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards
Joe

heidi

Hi Joe,

What you're asking is beyond the scope of what I'm able to provide on this forum... we would be able to help with that kind of question as part of a consultancy or support arrangement however.

Don't forget you have custom fields on the product which you could use to save seller details.  This might be sufficient for your needs?

What you're trying to acheive is perfectly feasible however.

You wouldn't have to set the users to Admin Users manually if you set them up as Admin users when they signup.  (Obviously you would want to assign them an appropriate role so that they could only do what you allow them to do).

You have a choice but I think the new entry form in the storefront for adding user products is best for this.

--Heidi