• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Installation using VMWare

Started by kans, April 25, 2009, 01:01:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kans

My actual hosting environment is Linux.  But due to permission issue I am unable to install Konakart directly in the hosting environment.  It was suggested in this forum that in such a case I can install Konakart in my local environment and then copy the WAR files into the actual target environment.

However I do not have Linux environment in my desktop.  Hence I am planning to use VMWare player.  My question is that if I install Konakart using the VMWare and then copy the WAR files into the target enviornment, am I fine?  Will there be any issues with this approach?  Please note that the base OS is still Windows XP.

Your quick response will be greatly appreciated.

heidi

Why don't you simply install it on Windows and use the WARs you create on that platform?

kans

Thanks for the response.  But is it ok to install in windows and port the resulting WAR into the linux environment?  Will there not be any changes in the WAR generated for Windows and that for Linux? 

And how about the Database?  In such a case how do I load the database to the remote Linux system?

Thanks.

heidi

QuoteThanks for the response. 

You're welcome :-)

QuoteBut is it ok to install in windows and port the resulting WAR into the linux environment?

Yes it's portable.

QuoteWill there not be any changes in the WAR generated for Windows and that for Linux?

No, you're OK there.

QuoteAnd how about the Database?  In such a case how do I load the database to the remote Linux system?

You have a few choices I suppose....  If you have jdbc connectivity from your Windows machine you could run the installer on Windows and just specify the Linux-based remote database in the section on db parameters... then the remote database will be loaded.   If you can't do this then you should load the konakart_demo.sql script on your remote database.
(All the database scripts can be found under the "database" directory at the top level of the konakart installation directory... there is a sub-directory for each database that's supported out of the box...)

There are a few platform-specific items in that initialisation SQL script.   You could either change those in the SQL script before running it,or just run it then change the values it configures from the Admin App.

Life is a little easier if you have freedom to run the installer on the target platform but certainly not a huge problem to overcome if you can't.

-- Heidi

kans

Thanks again.  In your response you have mentioned that there are a few platform specific changes to be done in the initializaiton script.  May I know what they are in paritcular?

In fact the current status of my installation is that I have already completed the installation as per your suggesion and successfully ran the demo application and admin application.

However when I change any value in the admin application and click on save, I get an error as follows:

"There has been a problem.  Details of error message is not available" in a small popup window. 

Before this error I get a dialog "Loading data ... please wait".  After 2-3 minutes it displays the above error.

Your help would be great as usual :-)

heidi

Platform-specific items:   just look for those items that have a Windows path and change those for your LInux/Unix path.   This is normally done automatically by the installation wizard.

Admin App error:  Perhaps you have not defined your database correctly in the konakartadmin.properties file?  Look in the tomcat log to find the error.