• Welcome to KonaKart Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Quantities - do not allow ordering when qty is below 1

Started by pmw, September 05, 2011, 05:11:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pmw

Hi, all,

I have two problems with KonaKart, which are related to each other.

First, it appears that KonaKart allows one to order more of a certain product than the quantity configured in the admin app. For example, I may have a qty of 5 for a widget, but a customer can go through the checkout process and buy 10. Sure, KonaKart says that the product is not in stock, but it assumes that it'll become in stock soon enough to accept the order! For me that's not the case. Is it possible to configure KonaKart to simply not allow a customer to complete checkout if the desired quantity exceeds supply?

Second, product options. KonaKart allows me to specify a quantity for each product option. But again, it appears to be mostly ignored. It's even worse than with a normal product, as KonaKart still continues to display the product option that's unavailable! I'd expect KonaKart to not display a product option that's unavailable, and like above, not allow the order to go through.

Is it possible to configure KonaKart to have my desired behavior for both of these points?

Thank you.

dulith

Have you found a solution to this issue? We are facing the same  :o

pmw

Quote from: dulith on November 20, 2011, 06:11:38 pm
Have you found a solution to this issue? We are facing the same  :o

Sorry, dulith, I have not found a solution. Upon my recommendation, the business I support has migrated away from KonaKart toward Satchmo. KonaKart's unpaid support in this forum has been very disappointing to me, with at least two of my questions going completely unanswered. Another reason we migrated is that KonaKart's releases do not use any revision control system, so it's quite difficult to upgrade one's installation to the latest version while preserving customizations. (It doesn't help that KonaKart's CSS files and open Java files are a complete mess in terms of organization and indentation, making merges particularly difficult.) So long!

ryan

Hi pmw,

Sorry to see you leave but best of luck with your new choice.

I would like to make one point regarding revision control systems. One of the major features of KonaKart is the ease with which you can update to new versions. You can completely modify the store front application and still remain compatible with new releases because the communication with the KonaKart engine uses the APIs which tend to remain backwards compatible.

What you should do is to store all of your store-front source code within a revision control system and only merge in code from new KK releases if it contains new functionality that you want to include.

Regarding the organization of our Open Source Java files, I personally think that they are organized in a logical fashion and the indentation is automatically generated by the java editor in Eclipse.

ryan

Back to the original question:

A KonaKart product contains an array of ProductQuantity objects each of which contains the SKU, the quantity in stock, the availability date and the encoded option values. This means that for any selection of options that the customer makes, you can determine whether it is or isn't in stock.

If you just have one set of options (i.e. size) then it's a trivial task to display (or activate) only the ones in stock. If you have two or more sets of options (i.e. size and color) then you may want to inform the customer only after a selection has been made unless you display all combinations. i.e. You can't disable "small" just because "small" doesn't exist in "red" when it does exist in "blue".