Community or Enterprise ?
Since version 18.104.22.168, KonaKart comes in two separate installations:
- A free Community Edition which can be downloaded from our downloads page.
- Enterprise Extensions which we charge for. See our prices page for pricing details.
The Community Edition is intended for small businesses and charitable organizations. A condition of the license agreement is to display “Powered By KonaKart” with a link to our web site, on the main page of the on line store.
The Enterprise Extensions are available as a separate installation kit which is installed on top of the community edition to provide more features and functionality. Although we would prefer you to keep it, the “Powered by KonaKart” link is not mandatory for a KonaKart based store when the Enterprise Extensions are installed. Currently the features present only in the Enterprise Extensions are:
- Storefront application for mobile devices. The storefront has been designed for customers using mobile phones and tablet computers. It allows you to access all of the functionality using touch rather than by use of the mouse.
- KonaKart Client Engine source code. It includes the full source code of the client engine as well as a utility for creating an Eclipse project for customizing the storefront application. Both versions of KonaKart include the source code for the JSPs and Struts action classes but the EE also includes the client engine so that all aspects of the storefront can be easily customized. Note that even extensive storefront customizations remain compatible with future versions of KonaKart since they communicate with the KonaKart eCommerce engine through the APIs, which remain backwards compatible.
- Multi-Store. The Enterprise Extensions version allows you to run an unlimited number of stores with a single KonaKart installation and a single database schema.
- Multi-Vendor. KonaKart allows vendors to manage their own products and orders through the Admin
App. The storefront application displays products from all vendors and allows the customer to checkout
with any selection of products in a single order.
- Indexed Search. Indexed search using Lucene search technology gives you a lightning fast search experience even for very large product catalogs.
- Suggested Search. As you type into the search box, a list of suggested search items appear matching the typed letters. The suggestions are weighted by popularity so the most common suggestions are shown first.
- Spelling suggestions. If a search provides no results, a list of suggested words that exist in the catalog are presented to the customer.
- Sophisticated marketing functionality that allows you to capture customer data as the customer uses your KonaKart eCommerce store; and to use that data within complex expressions in order to show dynamic content, activate promotions and send eMail communications. For example, you could show a banner or activate a promotion only to customers in a certain age bracket that have Product A in their wish list and at least $50 worth of goods in their cart.
- Promotion evaluation directly for products, rather than as Order Total modules. This allows a customer to view the available promotions for a product without having to add it to the cart.
- Configurable product options where a customer may enter the quantity or price of an option as well as text to customize a product.
- Unlimited number of custom product attributes. Each attribute may include metadata for validation and widget selection during data entry using the Admin App.
- Unlimited number of miscellaneous objects may be associated with products and categories.
- Wish List functionality. Customers can add products to a wish list. The KonaKart API supports multiple named wish lists for each customer.
- Gift Registries. Registered customers can create and manage gift registries such as wedding lists. A public gift registry can be searched for using various search parameters. Once found, any items bought from the registry may be automatically shipped to the address defined by the registry owner. The store front application contains an implementation of a wedding registry.
- Reward Points which enable you to increase customer loyalty and increase sales by rewarding customers for purchases as well as other actions such as registering, writing a review, referrals etc. The points may be redeemed during checkout.
- Gift Certificates. Gift Certificate products may be connected to any type of promotion and activated through a coupon code contained within the certificate.
- The KonaKart APIs are available via Java RMI (Remote Method Invocation) and JSON (application engine only with JSON). The Community Version of KonaKart allows you to call the APIs as Java methods and through SOAP.
- Job Scheduling. This is achieved with an integration of the Open Source Quartz scheduler. There is a framework for adding your own batch jobs and the source code of some useful example jobs.
- Support for Recurring Billing. Payment Schedule and Subscription objects have been introduced to support recurring billing natively using a KonaKart batch job or through a payment gateway that manages the billing process at regular intervals.
- Support for Refunds. Real time credit card refunds through the payment gateway can be managed from the Admin App.
- Support for Shippers and Shipments. Multiple shipments for a single order can be added from the Admin App.
- Product Synchronization feature to allow the synchronization of products between pre-production and production environments. This feature is available when in multi-store, shared product and shared category mode.
- XML Import/Export feature for KonaKart objects such as product, customer, order etc. This feature can be run with a script, providing arguments to define which objects to import or export. Some example scripts are provided.
- Java Message Queue Integration (Apache ActiveMQ) to support the guaranteed delivery of messages to external systems.
- Digital download products (txt and .pdf) may now be indexed in the SOLR search engine and text fragments (snippets) surrounding search keywords can be returned from the search.
- For applications requiring an unlimited number of prices for products, these prices may be set in a new database table and accessed instead of the standard product prices saved with the product data. This functionality allows you to define any number of catalogs, each of which may contain different product prices. Each catalog may also contain product stock information and a date for when the product will become available if out of stock.
- Internationalization. The language of the admin app may be changed dynamically.
- PDF invoices can be created and sent to customers as email attachments and downloaded from the store-front application. The created PDF invoices can be stored on disk for archiving purposes or created dynamically whenever they are required.
- Customer events that may be used for reporting purposes. You can log any event such as when a product is viewed or removed from the cart or when a customer starts and completes the checkout process. Events may be logged in another database so as not to impact production performance.
- Bookable Products such as courses and tickets may be defined. Each product can have an associated schedule and a list of bookings.
- LDAP module to connect to an LDAP directory in order to validate customer and admin user credentials.
- Flexible configuration of product image loading and scaling.
- Ehcache used to improve performance by caching of data.
- PunchOut functionality allowing an e-procurement system such as SAP to order from a KonaKart store.
- XML sitemap generation to inform search engines about pages that are available for crawling.